A ferry trip….
Okay, so it’s November and the book is not done. I lost a lot of time to unexpected house hunting and all the research that goes with an out of state move. However, due to some family issues, I think we’ll be putting any move on hold for awhile, so hopefully I can get this sucker finished!
In the meantime, please enjoy a random, unedited snippet from Heart of the Raven:
CONTAINS SPOILERS for Ashes of Deceit. If you haven’t read that book yet, then read at your own risk.
Dinner was buffet style, again, though it had more sea food. Not that she liked sea food. She piled her plate with rice and vegetables and steered clear of anything that had eyes. She didn’t like the idea of her dinner staring back.
A sightseeing couple joined them at their table and chatted. Katelina nodded politely and tried to carry a conversation, but she had nothing to say. She hadn’t seen any of the landmarks they mentioned, she didn’t have a particular itinerary for Japan, and she knew nothing about foreign travel. She couldn’t even talk about her “normal” life, or introduce Kai. What excuse would a woman in her mid-twenties have for traveling with a teenage boy? And Kai was no help. He ate mutely, attention on his plate, as if no one else existed. Luckily, the couple didn’t seem to notice anything amiss, or if they did they were too polite to comment.
What happens on the ferry, stays on the ferry. Right.
They invited Katelina and Kai to the on board nightclub, but she declined politely by feigning exhaustion. The pair left with a cheerful, “Maybe we’ll see you tomorrow!” and Katelina heaved a sigh of relief.
As she trudged back to the cabin, she felt a certain melancholy. Incidents like dinner reminded her how removed she was from real life. The sightseers’ trip to Russia involved trains, cameras, sunlight, market places and famous monuments. Hers had been a flying walk in the dark, a hotel, a seedy house to get fake papers, and an evening commuter train, all while waiting for Malick or his henchmen to appear and kill them, or for The Guild to send someone to intercept them and send them back to the U.S.
- Unedited Snippet Two from Book Five & Meter Link (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet One from Book Five (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet Three from Book Five – Adult Content (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet Four from Book Five (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet Five from Book Five (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet Six from Book Five (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- the Look Challenge! (Another Excerpt of Book 5!) (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)
- Unedited Snippet Seven from Book Five (joleenenaylor.wordpress.com)