After the success of Strange Portals, the Ink Slingers’ first anthology collection, we’ve decided to do another one! This time, for Halloween.
Here’s the roundup of rules:
1) all stories must be between 1,000 words and 10,000 words. They can be original works, or they can be previously published, so long as you have the rights to them.
2) All stories must be spooky, scary, creepy, horror, or otherwise Halloween themed. They can have elves and fairies, they can have scary aliens, they can even be funny, there just needs to be something Halloween-ish about them. This will mean something different to everyone. You might take it literal and write about Halloween, or you might just have a scary ending, or you might just write about ghosts or vampires – whatever Halloween and the spooky spirit means to you.
3) Stories must stand alone without a reader *needing* to read your book. If you have a chapter that can truly stand alone then yes, you may submit that, but it needs to have a clear beginning, middle, and resolution. Stories can also tie into your book(s) in any way you’d like, so long as they make sense on their own.
4) We will not do any editing, so make sure you’ve done it before you submit. If a story has a lot of typos or errors we will reject it.
5) We will also not update your story later. If you write a “better” version or a new author bio, or anything else. Once it’s published, it’s published, so make sure it’s the way you want it before you submit it.
6) You MUST have a Smashwords author account. You don’t have to sell any books on Smashwords to make this account – it’s free and easy – but you have to have one for us to link to in the metadata. We will not hunt down accounts, so if you do not provide the link your story will not be considered. Sorry.
7) You do NOT have to be a “published” author to join us! Even if you’ve never published before – whether indy, self, or traditional- you can still submit a story.
8) All entries are due by August 31st, 2015. This gives us a month to compile the anthology and have it ready for an October 1st release date on Smashwords, Amazon, etc.
9) Cover, formatting, etc. will be provided by the Ink Slingers. The anthology will be FREE to readers, so we aren’t paying authors for their stories. Sorry.
10) The only file types accepted will be .doc, .docx, .txt, and .rtf. We will NOT accept .pdfs. Images should be .jpg or .png and sent as attachments.
11) Send your short story of no more than 10,000 words to joleene(at)joleenenaylor.com and include:
- your smashwords link
- your author name and story title
- a short blurb/synopsis of the story
- your author bio
- your website or blog link (optional)
- your author photo (optional)
- a short blurb/synopsis of another work available for download (optional)
- book cover for above work (optional)
If you have any questions, please leave them here or drop me a line at Joleene(at)JoleeneNaylor.com. Thanks and I’m looking forward to your spooooooooky contributions!